Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Water Filtration - The Big Berkey


Two black Big Berkey water filters arrived on my doorstep yesterday. They'll be used to filter the chlorine out of our tap water at home and to purify the rain water catchment in Montello. They are the simplest system I have seen. Gravity fed...no pumps or pressure required. Add crappy water in the top (including nasty pond water) and watch pure water come out the bottom. I went the poor man route and only purchased the black filters ($99 for two). I'll be constructing a bucket system for the reservoirs instead of paying an extra $150 for the pretty setup. Check out this video on youtube if your interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LCk4lA7rmg

The night we set the shipping container in place Curt and Mike and I were inside the container getting warm by the fire and shooting the breeze. The conversation went to water and it turns out that I was the only guy there without a Big Berkey setup. I went over to Mike's house a couple days later to check out his system. He has the beautiful stainless steel setup and it is amazing. The water tastes fantastic, the system is really too simple to believe, and the aesthetics will please even the most selective. A couple days after that, Curt emailed me pics of his homemade bucket system. Effective, easy on the wallet, and simple to make. I've got my eye on a couple food grade buckets that will soon be enjoying a new life!

Mike and Curt, thank you guys for the excellent recommendation! I owe you each a kiss next time I see you. Or, perhaps you could talk me into buying a round at the Cowboy. You choose!

Last post. I don't plan on turning this blog into a music commentary, but I do plan on sharing what moves me in life and awakens me to the life I live now...especially if it's related to Montello. And, I don't want everyone to get the idea I'm a metal head (not that there's anything wrong with that). So, here's another selection I first enjoyed for the melody, rhythm, and voice. Turns out, the lyrics too are very meaningful to me.

http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/tracks#five%20for%20fighting%20superman

lyrics
I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me

I’m more than a bird…I’m more than a plane
I'm more than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me.

I wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd…but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed…but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
And it’s not easy to be me.

Up, up and away…away from me
Well it’s all right…You can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy…or anything…

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me
inside of me ...... inside of me ...ya inside of me... inside..of me

I’m only a man in a funny red sheet
I’m only a man looking for a dream

I’m only a man in a funny red sheet

It’s not easy ... wu.. hoo.. hoo..
It’s not easy to be.. me...



After reviewing Curt's pics, I realized that Mike has the black filters and Curt has the white ceramic filters. I thought both of them had black filters when I placed my order and didn't look into the differences between the two. The pricing is similar and the differences are subtle, but they are different. Here's some more info on their differences: http://tinyurl.com/dycs7a

2 comments:

  1. You sure those are filters? ;) haha For real though, I am gonna have to make my own, those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....they do perform very well as filters. However, far be it from me to stifle any "multi-use" thought for a future application. I get the feeling you should share those functionalities with me via email (not on the blog)...hahaahahha

    ReplyDelete